Need Help Paying Electric Bill? Try These 5 Options
March 8, 2022 | Louis Tully
You may not quite realize it, but when you need help paying electric bill, you have a plethora of options. Some of them include applying for the Georgia Energy Assistance Program, using Project SHARE offered by The Salvation Army, joining the Georgia Fee Waiver Program, asking your friends and family, and trying auto pawns.
In the following sections, we'll break down each option so you can decide which one suits you best including auto pawns.
Top 5 Ways to Get Help Paying Electric Bill
1. Apply For the Georgia Energy Assistance Program
The Georgia Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is funded by the federation that helps low-income individuals and households pay their energy bills. In general, it offers the following assistance types:
- Energy crisis assistance
- Bill payment assistance
- Energy-related home repairs
Of course, you must meet the criteria to be eligible for the program. The requirements are as follows:
- You must be a resident of Georgia.
- You need help paying electric bill or other home energy costs.
- Your household must have an annual income below 60% of the state's median income. For example, you must earn less than $26,474 before taxes per year as a one-person household.
If you already participate in other benefit programs like TANF, SSI, or SNAP, you automatically meet EAP requirements. To apply for the program, you need to contact your local Community Action Agency.
2. Use Project SHARE Offered By The Salvation Army
Project SHARE offers financial emergency assistance to families and individuals facing a short-term crisis that threatens their living situation. As can be expected, The Salvation Army provides funding to the most urgent cases first.
To apply for the program, you need to book an appointment with the SHARE Partner Agency in your county. Your eligibility is determined by your area's case manager, who considers the circumstances that caused you to seek emergency help. The level of assistance you receive depends on your need, the available funds, and the measures required to solve your crisis.
While the aid you can access is decided on a case-by-case basis, the following general statements must be true to gain eligibility:
- You are making a reasonable monetary contribution toward the expense in question (your electric bill, in this case).
- You are experiencing a crisis that threatens your housing, employment, health, safety, utility, or stability.
- It's a rare occurrence for you to experience a severe financial emergency.
- You will receive long-term relief from the crisis after receiving the funding.
3. Join The Georgia Fee Waiver Program
If you are over 65 years old, you might be able to participate in the Georgia Fee Waiver Program provided by many major electricity companies.
The Public Utility Commission (PUC) ensures the state's major electric and gas utilities waive their fees and service charge for senior citizens who own their homes. To be eligible, your household must earn less than $12,000 annually.
Applying is easy. All you need to do is phone your utility company and refer to the Georgia Fee Waiver Program. They'll tell you whether they participate in the scheme.
4. Ask Your Friends And Family
If you don't qualify for any of the programs mentioned, you can seek assistance from your friends or relatives. Many people find this awkward and embarrassing. But, if you're in a pinch, your loved ones will want to ensure you get back on your feet. Just make sure any agreements are written down to avoid any money-related arguments in the future.
5. Try an Auto Pawn
If you need immediate help with your electric bill, you can get help paying an electric bill with a Georgia title pawn! At Georgia Auto Pawn, Inc., based on the value of your vehicle, we determine how much money you qualify for (capped at $15,000), allowing you to fund your utility payments with ease. You can get money as soon as the same day!
The process takes only 30 minutes. Simply follow the steps below:
- Contact your local Georgia Auto Pawn, Inc. by phone or use our simple online inquiry form. It sends your information straight to the location of your choice.
- One of our loan experts calls you to discuss the process, answer your questions, and tell you about the required items. Additionally, you'll set a time and place to meet the agent.
- Go to the agreed location with your driver's license (or another kind of state-issued photo ID), vehicle, and lien-free vehicle title. We can even drive to you!
- The loan representative examines your vehicle to determine the amount of money you qualify for.
- Complete the paperwork with the help of the loan associate and receive your money on the same or next working day.
Pay Your Electric Bill With An Auto Pawn Today!
Whenever you need help paying electric bill, auto pawns are always an option for same day cash! No matter your credit score, you can gain approval and get your title cash now. So, get started by giving us a call or completing the inquiry form today.